Buttery and pillowy soft brioche babka filled with Brie and herbs. This classic French bread is delicious and simple to make, perfect for entertaining at home!
For the Brioche dough
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 8oz (1 cup) whole milk, warmed to 105F
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs + 1 egg for egg wash, room temp
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 tbsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
For the Filling:
- 14 oz brie, thinly sliced, skin removed
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the yeast and warmed milk (105F) and let stand until foamy, about 5-10 minutes. Read the instructions on your packet, activating suggestions might vary.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the milk/yeast mixture, flour, 3 eggs, butter, salt and sugar, and mix on low to combine.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and knead for 10 to 15 min, until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Do not skip this step!
- Lightly grease a separate glass bowl. Form the brioche dough into a ball and transfer to bowl. Cover with 2 kitchen towels and allow to proof for 1-1.5 hours. Dough should double in size (see photos above).
- Once the dough has doubled, weigh and divide the dough into 2 balls. Lightly flour your working surface and rolling pin, roll our each dough ball to 11×15.
- Add the thinly sliced brioche leaving about 1/2 inch from the edges. Top with fresh and dried oregano, chopped rosemary and thyme. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Starting at the long edge nearest you, tightly roll up the dough rectangle into a tight log. Repeat with the other dough half.
- For a traditional babka loaf, use a sharp knife to cut through the middle length-wise. Place one piece of the though over the other, and braid together. Place the babka in a 9×5 inch pan, greased and lined with If You Care Parchment Baking Paper, cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- For a brioche loaf, cut the log in half crosswise. Place one half over the other, forming a cross. Twist to form a spiral and transfer to a grease and lined loaf pan. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and brush edges of dough with egg wash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Serve warm with whipped butter and honey, optional but delicious.
Please refer to pictures above!
Keywords: brie brioche babka, easy brioche, entertaining ideas