If you’re craving a traditional Fall treat, look no further. Caramel Apples are everyone’s favorite! Follow this easy recipe using simple ingredients and a few different toppings.
Salted Butter Caramel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 popsicle sticks
- 4 apples
- ½ cup toasted chopped nuts
- ½ cup chopped chocolate
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- ½ crushed gingersnaps
- ½ cup melted chocolate in a small piping bag for drizzling
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add cream, butter and salt and bring to a simmer, stirring as you go. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil, mix until sugar is dissolved. Continue boiling without stirring until the mixture is a rich amber color and reaches between 340°F to 349°F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in the cream mixture. If the caramel solidifies, set the pan back over very low eat and stir gently until it melts.
- Let the hot caramel mixture sit in the bowl until the temperature cools to just below 200°F, at which point you are ready to dip the apples.
For the Apples
- While the caramel sauce is cooking and cooling, line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Insert a craft stick in the stem end of each apple.
- Dip an apple into the caramel, coating all but the very top of the apple. Lift the apple out of the caramel and hold it over the bowl for a few seconds to allow the excess caramel to drip off.
- Turn the apple caramel side up and hold for several seconds to set the caramel. Transfer to the baking sheet to cool. Repeat with the remaining apples.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Once the caramel has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and press the caramel that has pooled at the bottom of the apples up against the side of the apples.
- If you are using topping, roll the caramel apples in them now. Return the apples to the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.