A simple twist to the classic cloud-like meringues cookies. These Chocolate & Caramel swirled meringues are light and crisp, with a slightly chewy center.
For the Meringues
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the Topping
- 8 oz dark chocolate (melted, cooled)
- salted caramel sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites until frothy. Increase the speed to medium-high and Gradually add in sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Whip until the meringue holds glossy peaks and mixture is free of sugar grit when rubbed between two fingers. Spoon mixture onto baking sheet.
- Make sure the melted chocolate and salted caramel sauce is cooled and liquid. Carefully drizzle on top of meringue and with a toothpick, just slightly swirl (don’t mix).
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake on the lower rack for 40 minutes, until the outsides are dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven and leave in the oven for an extra 10 minutes. Remove the meringues from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Then gently peel them away and transfer to cooling rack.
- The meringues are best when served the day they are made. Stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in the fridge for extra chewiness.