A creamy and fudgy chocolate layer snug between a buttery, flaky crust and a caramelized pecan topping.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour (or regular flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp group cardamom (optional)
- 8 tbsp butter (frozen)
- 3–5 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 5 oz dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole pecans
For the Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and cardamom (if using). Remove the butter from the freezer and grate, using a box grater. Combine the butter with the flour mixture using your hands, breaking it into the flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add 3 tablespoons of water and continue mixing until the dough comes together. Add more water if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
Form the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30min but preferably overnight.
Remove the dough from the fridge and cool for 10 min. Flour your countertop and rolling pin. Roll the dough out to fit a 9″ pie pan, around a 12-inch round. Place the crust in pie plate by wrapping it around the rolling pin and unrolling over dish. Fit the dough into the bottom and sides. And tuck in excess dough.
To crimp the crust: with one hand on the inside and one hand on the outside edge of the pan, use the index finger of your inside hand to push the dough between the thumb and index finger of your outside hand to form a U shape. Then, continue around the pie.
For the Chocolate Filling:
- Preheat to 350 degrees F.
Add the chopped chocolate to a small bowl. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until just before boiling. Pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Whisk until combined and smooth.
Pour the cooled melted chocolate into the pie crust and smooth it out using an angled spatula. Freeze for 20 minutes.
For the Pecan Topping
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter and heat until sugar dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Remove the pie dish from the freezer and arrange the pecans over the mixture. See photo for reference.
- Pour the filling over the arranged pecans.
- Brush the edges of the crust with egg wash and cook for 50-55 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.