This classic lemon pound cake is perfectly good on its own, but it’s extra delicious with a homemade blueberry compote and lemon icing.
For the Lemon Pound Cake
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 8 oz (2 cups) Danish Creamery unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 6 oz buttermilk (or make your own *see notes*)
- 12 oz (about 2 3/4 cup) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the Blueberry Compote
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the Icing
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3–5 tbsp boiling water
To make the Lemon Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan or a 10-inch loaf pan. Do not use a smaller pan or it will overflow.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and sugar, until very pale and smooth. This can take around 6-8 minutes, beating on medium-low. Add 1 egg at a time, while beating, followed by the lemon zest, until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking soda. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk, in 2 or 3 additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Transfer to a prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center (or sides if using a bundt pan) comes out clean. Time will vary depending on your oven. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
To make the Blueberry Compote
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Cook until the sauce thickens about 20 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a glass jar.
To make the Icing
- Start by sifting the powdered sugar into a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a couple of tablespoons of boiling water. Work a spoon against the sides of the bowl, getting rid of clumps, until you get a desired consistency. If it’s too thick, add 1 tbsp of boiling water at a time. If it’s too runny add 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Spoon (or transfer to a piping bag without a tip) onto cake, going around the top rotating the cake. Wait until it glides down.
*Danish Creamery products are available nationwide. For more information, visit the Where to Buy section on their site.
**To make your own buttermilk, simply add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes. Only use the amount of buttermilk called for in the recipe (3/4 cup).
Keywords: lemon pound cake, classic cake