This double layer pumpkin cheesecake is a must-have Thanksgiving dessert. It’s creamy and smooth, with a cheesecake layer topped with pumpkin cheesecake layer in a graham cracker crust. Served with delicious toasted meringue.
- 9″ graham cracker pie crust, store bought
- 1 (8oz) package full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pumpkin Cheesecake Layer
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp bourbon, optional
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
To make the Cheesecake Layer
- In a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Spread into bottom of graham cracker pie crust. Set aside.
To make the Pumpkin Layer
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the ingredients until smooth and pour over the cream cheese layer. Smooth the top with an angled spatula or back of a spoon.
- Bake until cheesecake is firm, a slight jiggle is ok. About 45 min to 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack before topping with meringue.
To make the Meringue
- In a small saucepan, bring an inch of water to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites, light brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract, and set over a bain-marie (double broiler). Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the simmering water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves completely and the whites are warm. Feel the mixture between two fingers: it should have a smooth consistency, without any granules. Remove from heat.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add the tablespoon of bourbon, if using, reduce speed to low and beat until fully combined.
- Once the cheesecake cools, pat the top carefully with a paper towel to remove moisture. Spread the meringue on top. Use a small offset spatula, or back of a spoon, to achieve swoops and swirls.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To Brown the Meringue
- In the oven: Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until meringue is browned to your liking.
- Using kitchen torch: hold the flame at a 90-degree angle three inches from the meringue. Move around the pie until the meringue starts to brown.
Make Ahead: you can definitely make this layered cheesecake ahead of time. In fact, making it ahead allows the flavors to meld and the cheesecake to set properly. Make up to 3 days ahead of time.
To store: slice and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze: remove any toppings, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil, and place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw the cheesecake in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: double layer pumpkin cheesecake, layered cheesecake, double layer pumpkin pie