Crema catalana is an authentic Spanish custard similar to crème brulee, but so much better! Made with milk and egg yolks, with orange and lemon undertones.
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of granulated sugar, plus more for topping
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring milk, lemon and orange peel, and cinnamon stick to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until combined.
- Dissolve cornstarch into the strained milk mixture (to remove the peels and stick). Gradually add the egg mixture to the warm milk, whisking constantly so that the eggs don’t scramble.
- Stir over low heat until the mixture thickens. Remove and transfer to traditional clay dishes or glass pots (as pictured). Cover with plastic wrap pressing directly onto the surface to prevent from forming a thick skin. Refrigerate for 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle sugar on top and caramelize using a kitchen blowtorch.
Keywords: Crema Catalana, spanish desserts