For the Mousse
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 can chickpeas (drained + liquid reserved)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Mousse
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler over medium heat. Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the saucepan – do not let it touch the water. Add chocolate chips to the bowl and stir until melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the heavy cream for about 2 minutes until soft peaks form. Pour the melted chocolate and continue beating until fully combined.
- Divide the mousse into 2 glasses or cups and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
For the Toppings
- While the mousse cools, mix the hazelnuts with cinnamon and cardamom and roast for 5 minutes at 350F.
For the Aquafaba Meringue
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the aquafaba for 5 minutes. Liquid will reduce by half. Once cooled, transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and add the cream of tartar and sugar. Whisk on high speed for 5-10 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Mousse
- Layer each glass of chocolate mousse with the roasted hazelnuts (see notes for additional toppings). Spoon in the meringue and use a kitchen torch to brown the meringue peaks!
Additional Toppings: you can replace the hazelnuts for your favorite nuts such as chopped almonds or walnuts, add more chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, butterscotch morsels or even raspberries.
You can also substitute the aquafaba meringue for whipped coconut cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert