This Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse is the first “date night in” dessert installment on the blog! Wednesdays tend to be a little hard sometimes and we all need that extra push to get us thru the week. So, why not break up the usual boring week dinner and make yourself (and your roommate, partner, friend) a quick, decadent dessert. So every Wednesday, I’ll share with you a dessert for 2 you can make with basic ingredients (and substitutes) your likely to have in your pantry.
A few notes: if you’re into being healthy and all, you can substitute the heavy cream for 1 can of coconut cream (chilled overnight). I also love using dairy free and gluten free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life. Swap out the hazelnuts for your preferred nut such as almonds or walnuts, a mix of pepitas and dried fruit, or fresh berries.
I’m all about making recipes my own so feel free to experiment.
For the Mousse
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 can chickpeas (drained + liquid reserved)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Mousse
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler over medium heat. Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the saucepan – do not let it touch the water. Add chocolate chips to the bowl and stir until melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the heavy cream for about 2 minutes until soft peaks form. Pour the melted chocolate and continue beating until fully combined.
- Divide the mousse into 2 glasses or cups and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
For the Toppings
- While the mousse cools, mix the hazelnuts with cinnamon and cardamom and roast for 5 minutes at 350F.
For the Aquafaba Meringue
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the aquafaba for 5 minutes. Liquid will reduce by half. Once cooled, transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and add the cream of tartar and sugar. Whisk on high speed for 5-10 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Mousse
- Layer each glass of chocolate mousse with the roasted hazelnuts (see notes for additional toppings). Spoon in the meringue and use a kitchen torch to brown the meringue peaks!
Additional Toppings: you can replace the hazelnuts for your favorite nuts such as chopped almonds or walnuts, add more chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, butterscotch morsels or even raspberries.
You can also substitute the aquafaba meringue for whipped coconut cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert