- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour, I use Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
- 4 medium organic eggs
- 1/3 cup nut milk, I used almond unsweetened
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oil, I used canola
For the Frosting:
- 1 8oz container vegan cream cheese, room temp
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Pinch of pink salt
Salted Coconut Caramel Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients and whisk until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the chopped walnuts, and whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts, if using.
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen from pan. Invert cake onto cooling rack or serving platter.
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth. Add the cream cheese and continue beating until smooth.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar, in 1 cup increments, followed by the vanilla extract and salt. Beat until fully combined. The frosting needs to be creamy and thick, so add more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- Spread over the cake using an angled spatula to create swirls
For the Salted Coconut Caramel (if using)
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens. It’ll continue to thicken once cooled. Set aside 1 cup and refrigerate the rest for up to 1 week.
- Top with chopped walnuts and caramel sauce.
- Prep Time: 20minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: healthy carrot cake, gluten free, dairy free