Easy pie de limon, or tart lemon meringue pie, made with a cookie crust, a custard filling and a thick meringue topping.
For the Cookie Crust
- 25 Maria cookies
- 5 Honey Graham Crackers
- 8 tbsp butter (melted)
For the Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1 can condensed milk
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
For the Meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Make the Cookie Crust
- Place cookies in a food processor and pulse until finely crumbled.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the melted butter. Mix until throughly combined.
- Add the mixture to an 8inch pan and press against the bottom and sides of the pan, using the back of a spoon or a measuring cup.
- If baking, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool before adding the filling.
Make the Filling
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Pour over the cooled crust and refrigerate for at least an hour before continuing with the next step.
Make the Meringue
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites and sugar until combined.
- Place the bowl over a small saucepan on simmering water. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar dissolves, whisking constantly.
- Return the bowl to the stand mixer, and beat at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. About 5-8 minutes.
- Scrape the meringue into a large piping bag. Alternating between 2 different tips (see notes), pipe meringue onto pie.
- Before serving, use a kitchen torch to carefully brown the meringue tips all over the cake.
- Slice and serve!
Keywords: pie de limon