Delicious Caramel Apple Crisp with a buttery crust, a chunky caramel and apple filling topped with granola! Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
For the Pie Crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 3–5 tbsp water, ice cold
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg, optional for egg wash
For the Caramel Apple Filling
- 9 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 caramel sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 cup Granola
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
For the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Remove the butter from the freezer and grate, using a box grater (or diced). Combine the butter with the flour mixture using your hands, breaking it into the flour until mixture is crumbly.
- Add 3-5 tablespoons of water (beginning with the smaller amount) and continue mixing until the dough comes together. Add more water if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide in half. Flour your countertop or work surface and rolling pin. Roll the dough out to fit a 9″ pie pan, and to about 1/8″ thick. Place the crust in pie plate by wrapping it around the rolling pin and unrolling over dish. Fit the dough into the bottom and sides, and tuck in excess dough.
- Freeze for 20 minutes, it helps the pie hold it’s shape while cooking. When ready to bake, use a fork to poke holes in the base to prevent air bubbles.
- Optional: beat 1 egg and lightly brush the top crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for 40-45 minutes, until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
For the Caramel Apple Filling:
- Combine all ingredients (except the caramel sauce) in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-low heat. Add the apple filling mixture and cook for 10 minutes until apple soften. Transfer to baked pie crust and drizzle caramel sauce as you go.
For the Topping & Assembly
- Place the granola in a plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over low heat. Add the granola and toast for 1 minute.
Assemble the pie:
- Add the granola topping to the apple filling.
- Cover the pie with foil and warm in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes, just before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle caramel on top. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: caramel apple crisp, crisp & crumbles, cozy dessert