Delicious Caramel Apple Crisp with a buttery crust, a chunky caramel and apple filling topped with granola! Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Apple Crisps should be considered a year round recipe! No matter the season this dessert always brings cozy vibes to any dinner party or Friday night Netflix session.
This easy Caramel Apple Crisp is super simple to make. Below you can find how to make an easy caramel sauce and a vegan version as well. This crisp is topped with granola, any store bought option works, but I love Purely Elizabeth Original Granola – it’s gluten free and low in sugar.
How to make a Caramel Apple Crisp with Granola
This Apple Crisp is super easy to make. There’s 3 main steps.
First, start with the pie crust (you’re going to love my tried and true recipe!). Tip: always use frozen butter and grate it using a cheese grater! Combine flour, sugar and salt. Combine the butter with the flour mixture using your hands, breaking it into the flour until mixture is crumbly. Add 3 tablespoons of water and continue mixing until the dough comes together. Form the mixture into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425F. Roll the dough out to fit a 9″ pie pan, and to about 1/8″ thick. Place the crust in pie plate by wrapping it around the rolling pin and unrolling over dish. Fit the dough into the bottom and sides, and tuck in excess dough. Freeze for 20 minutes, it helps the pie hold it’s shape while cooking. When ready to bake, use a fork to poke holes in the base to prevent air bubbles, and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 40-45 minutes.
For the filling, combine apples, cornstarch, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice. in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-low heat. Add the apple filling mixture and cook for 10 minutes until apple soften. Transfer to baked pie crust and drizzle caramel sauce as you go.
Top with store bough granola. I’d recommend getting an Original flavor, so that it works with the caramel apple filling.
How to make Caramel Sauce
One of my favorite things to make is caramel sauce. Homemade caramel is so easy and delicious, I can’t get enough. Plus, it’s so much better than the store bought version!
I like making my caramel sauce with brown sugar as opposed to granulated. According to SAVEUR, pastry chefs use white sugar because it yields consistent results every time. I prefer the molasses taste, but if you prefer to use granulated sugar follow this recipe instead.
All you need is 5 natural ingredients; brown sugar, heavy cream, salt, butter & vanilla. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk, whisk, whisk until it thickens. Add in vanilla extract and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool before transferring to a glass jar. That’s it!
How to make a Vegan Caramel Sauce
If you prefer to try a Vegan Caramel Sauce, follow the steps below or you can check out the recipe card here. To make a Vegan Caramel Sauce you’re going to need:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens. It’ll continue to thicken once cooled. Set aside 1 cup and refrigerate the rest for up to 1 week.
For other delicious recipes, check out my:
I’m so happy you’re making one of my recipes, and would love to see how it turns out! Share it on Instagram using #yogaofcooking so I can see it, it always makes my day! Or leave a comment below!
Happy Baking! xPrint
For the Pie Crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 3–5 tbsp water, ice cold
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg, optional for egg wash
For the Caramel Apple Filling
- 9 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 caramel sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 cup Granola
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
For the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Remove the butter from the freezer and grate, using a box grater (or diced). Combine the butter with the flour mixture using your hands, breaking it into the flour until mixture is crumbly.
- Add 3-5 tablespoons of water (beginning with the smaller amount) and continue mixing until the dough comes together. Add more water if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide in half. Flour your countertop or work surface and rolling pin. Roll the dough out to fit a 9″ pie pan, and to about 1/8″ thick. Place the crust in pie plate by wrapping it around the rolling pin and unrolling over dish. Fit the dough into the bottom and sides, and tuck in excess dough.
- Freeze for 20 minutes, it helps the pie hold it’s shape while cooking. When ready to bake, use a fork to poke holes in the base to prevent air bubbles.
- Optional: beat 1 egg and lightly brush the top crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for 40-45 minutes, until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
For the Caramel Apple Filling:
- Combine all ingredients (except the caramel sauce) in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-low heat. Add the apple filling mixture and cook for 10 minutes until apple soften. Transfer to baked pie crust and drizzle caramel sauce as you go.
For the Topping & Assembly
- Place the granola in a plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over low heat. Add the granola and toast for 1 minute.
Assemble the pie:
- Add the granola topping to the apple filling.
- Cover the pie with foil and warm in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes, just before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle caramel on top. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: caramel apple crisp, crisp & crumbles, cozy dessert