Double layer Fig and Almond Cake with Honey Cream, fig spread, walnuts and honey. The perfect early late summer, early fall dessert!
If you’re looking for an easy showstopper dessert, this Fig and Almond Honey Cream Cake is for you! The base is a soft and spongy almond cake, that happens to be gluten-free. The middle layer features a think honey cream filling with a fig spread swirl.
The top layer features cream, sliced black mission figs (my favorite), chopped walnuts for a crunch bite, a few thyme springs for color & texture, and a drizzle of honey.
This cake is perfect for a late summer, early fall gathering. It’s only a 6-inch cake, but it serves 6-8 guests!
Tips for making a Fig and Almond Cake
- Start with high quality ingredients, such as organic figs and super fine, blanched Almond Flour.
- Use room temperature ingredients: for this recipe you’ll need room temp eggs and melted and cooled coconut oil. Using hot coconut oil will make the eggs clump up and ruin the batter.
- Line and grease the baking pans to prevent the cake from sticking and allow easy removal. I use this baking spray and this parchment paper.
- Make ahead: this cake can be made the day before! Just keep in at room temperature covered in foil. Make sure to cool down the cake completely before storing.
How to Make Honey Cream
Honey Cream is easy to make and only requires 3 ingredients. It goes well with any base cake and can be topped with fruits or chocolate shavings.
To make Honey Cream you’re going to need:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Unfiltered, Raw Honey
- Vanilla Extract, I like this brand.
Tips to Make Honey Cream:
Use a chilled bowl and whisk and beat until the cream is frothy. Cream whips best when cold, so chilling the bowl helps add volume to the cream.Next, add the room temperature honey and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
To store, keep in a airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Best enjoyed the day it’s made!
Check out our Favorite Fall Recipes
- Chai Rice Pudding (Vegan)
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (Gluten and Dairy free)
- Mark Bittman’s Peanut Brittle
- Blueberry Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel
If you make this recipe please rate and leave a comment. Share your bakes with me using #yogaofcooking so I can share with our community!Print
Double layer Fig and Almond Cake with Honey Cream, fig spread, walnuts and honey. The perfect late summer, early fall dessert!
For the Cake
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp unrefined (virgin) coconut oil, melted and cooled
For the Middle Layer:
- 1/4 cup store-bought fig spread
For the Honey Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unfiltered, raw honey
For the Top Layer:
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups black mission figs, whole or sliced
- Thyme sprigs, for decorating
- Honey for drizzle
For the Almond Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of 2 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease the sides with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: almond flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, almond extract, sugar and lemon zest, whisking until everything is fully incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until there aren’t clumps remaining.
- Fold in the melted and cooled coconut oil. Divide the batter evenly amongst the 2 cake pans, you can use a scale for precise weights.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For the Honey Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the cold heavy cream on high, for about 4 minutes until thickened. Add the honey and vanilla, and whisk until incorporated.
Assemble the Cake
- Place one cake layer on cake stand. Top with honey cream and fig spread. Add the second cake, top with honey cream, black mission figs (whole or sliced) and chopped walnuts. Decorate with thyme sprigs and drizzle with honey. Serve immediately!
Keywords: fig & almond cake, gluten free, honey cream, fall baking