Double layer Fig and Almond Cake with Honey Cream, fig spread, walnuts and honey. The perfect late summer, early fall dessert!
For the Cake
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp unrefined (virgin) coconut oil, melted and cooled
For the Middle Layer:
- 1/4 cup store-bought fig spread
For the Honey Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unfiltered, raw honey
For the Top Layer:
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups black mission figs, whole or sliced
- Thyme sprigs, for decorating
- Honey for drizzle
For the Almond Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of 2 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease the sides with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: almond flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, almond extract, sugar and lemon zest, whisking until everything is fully incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until there aren’t clumps remaining.
- Fold in the melted and cooled coconut oil. Divide the batter evenly amongst the 2 cake pans, you can use a scale for precise weights.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For the Honey Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the cold heavy cream on high, for about 4 minutes until thickened. Add the honey and vanilla, and whisk until incorporated.
Assemble the Cake
- Place one cake layer on cake stand. Top with honey cream and fig spread. Add the second cake, top with honey cream, black mission figs (whole or sliced) and chopped walnuts. Decorate with thyme sprigs and drizzle with honey. Serve immediately!
Keywords: fig & almond cake, gluten free, honey cream, fall baking