Chocoflan, also known as Impossible Cake, is a 2 layer cake featuring a creamy flan layer on top of a deliciously fudgy chocolate cake.
For the caramel
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar / 150gr
For the chocolate cake
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour /190gr
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder / 50gr
- 3 tsp of baking powder / 14gr
- 1 ¾ sticks of butter / 175gr
- 1 cup granulated sugar / 200gr
- 3 eggs /130gr
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of whole milk / 120gr
For the flan
- 4 eggs /170gr
- 1 cup of condensed milk / 300gr
- 1 cup of whole milk / 240gr
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup full fat cream cheese / 150gr, softened
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF. Coat a 12 cup bundt pan with butter, set aside.
- For the caramel: In a medium saucepan add the granulated sugar and cook at medium heat until it melts. Whisk gently making sure to scraping the edges of the pan to avoid burning the caramel. Allow it to melt completely until it turns into a rich golden brown color. Remove from heat.
- Pour the caramel into the bundt pan and tilt it until you cover the bottom and at least 1” of the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- For the flan: In a blender pour 1 cup of condensed milk, 1 cup of whole milk, 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and cream cheese. Blend on low until everything is combined. Set aside.
- For the chocolate cake: Combine the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, in a bowl and set aside. In the bowl of a standing mixer cream the butter with the sugar until it doubles in size and the color is pale yellow. Add the eggs, one by one, making sure they are fully incorporated before adding the next one. Add the vanilla extract, followed by the milk and the dry ingredients alternating them in two batches, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Scoop the chocolate cake batter on top of the caramel. Pour the flan mixture very carefully on top of the cake batter. Cover the bundt pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake a water bath by placing the bundt pan in a larger baking pan or pyrex and pour about an inch of hot water into the larger pan.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the chocoflan from the oven and let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Invert onto a large platter and enjoy*!
*Chocoflan is best served when chilled!
Keywords: chocoflan, impossible cake, chocolate cake, flan, quesillo