Delicious homemade donuts tossed in cinnamon sugar and filled with dulce de leche. Serve with milk or hot chocolate.
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs + 1 yolk, room temp
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup kefir or milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 (13.4 oz) can Dulce de Leche
- Warm kefir (or milk) to 110F. Combine the warm kefir (or milk), active try yeast and 1 teaspoon on sugar in a small bowl. Give it a gentle stir and set aside until it activates (doubles in size).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, combine the flour, sugar, salt, yeast mixture, butter and eggs, and mix on low speed for 5-6 minutes until dough comes together (it should come off the sides of the bowl).
- Lightly flour a working surface and roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Using a 3 inch biscuit or round cookie cutter, cut out around 12-14 donuts.
- Transfer to a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle some flour over the top. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 1.5 hours.
- In a heavy duty pan, heat the vegetable oil to 350F (using a candy thermometer), fry 3 donuts at a time until golden brown (each side takes about 1 minute) on both sides.
- Drain them on paper towel and toss them in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Using a knife, cut a slit at the top and fill with dulce de leche (using a piping bag with a large star tip).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar and cinnamon until combined. Set aside.
- Using a spoon, stir the dulce de leche before transferring to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
*Lifeway Kefir products are available nationwide. For more information, visit the Where to Buy section on their site.
Keywords: dulce de leche filled donuts, stuffed donuts