This Fudgy Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cake features two cake layers filled with smooth dulce de leche.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 2 cans dulce de leche
For the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line 2 8-inch round cake pans, dust with cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients; all purpose flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, oil, sugar and brown sugar. Whisk on medium speed until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time. Continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients, one cup at a time, alternating with 1/3 cup of buttermilk.
- Pour the hot water and 1 tablespoon of espresso and continue beating for another minute.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and divide batter evenly among 2 cake pans. For exact measurements use a kitchen scale.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (some crumbs is OK).
- Cool cakes for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Spread Dulce de Leche, straight out of the can, in between layers and on top. Use the back of a spoon or an angled spatula to make swirls. Enjoy!
Keywords: dulce de leche, chocolate cake, fudgy chocolate dulce de leche cake