Buttery strawberry shortcakes filled with creamy labneh whipped cream and strawberry preserves. The perfect dessert to enjoy on an afternoon picnic!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, whisked, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp sugar, for brushing
Labneh Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup labneh
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
For the shortcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 420ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the ap flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar and lemon zest. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the grated butter into the flour and toss together using your hands. The dough will be crumbly and look like coarse sand.
- Make a well in the center of the butter and flour mixture, pour the buttermilk in. Bring the dough together using your hands or a spatula, careful to not overwork (it’ll result in hard shortcakes).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured working surface. Flour your hands and mold the dough into a rectangle, until it’s about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into 2.5-inch circles using a biscuit cutter. Re-working scraps until you have 12 biscuits.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool before slicing.
For the Labneh Whipped Cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add heavy cream, labneh, sifted powdered sugar, and vanilla, and whisk on medium high until stiff peaks form. About 4-5 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice biscuits in half, add whipped labneh, Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves and sliced strawberries. Top with remaining half and drizzle honey on top.
*Bonne Maman products are available nationwide. For more information, visit: https://www.bonnemaman.us
*Store plain biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
*Keep whipped labneh refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: strawberry shortcakes, strawberry preserves, whipped labneh