Buttery strawberry shortcakes filled with creamy labneh whipped cream and Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves. The perfect dessert to enjoy on an afternoon picnic!
This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman.
Nothing says spring like an outdoor picnic filled with fresh flowers and seasonal fruits! I teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you a brand new and easy-to-make recipe, worthy of sharing with friends and family. These Strawberry Shortcakes with Labneh Whipped Cream will become a family favorite!
Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves are the perfect addition to these buttery shortcake biscuits. What I love about Bonne Maman products is that they’re made with the finest natural ingredients and feature only the highest quality fruit. You won’t find high fructose corn syrup, artificial coloring, or added preservatives, in any of Bonne Maman’s preserves, jellies, fruit spreads and curd. They are made with a few, simple ingredients you might find in your own kitchen.
How to Create the Perfect Spring Picnic
Picnics can be as simple as packing a few snacks and a blanket or as elaborate as you see in these pictures. They’re the perfect way to spend time outside and celebrate a special occasion or simply to host friends you haven’t seen in a while.
Here are my go-to tips:
- Pick the right spot: a nearby park, my front yard or the beach are my favorite spots. Look for plenty of natural shade, ideally under trees or bring a large umbrella, if hosting at the beach.
- Pack the essentials: can’t go wrong with a large, cozy blanket and a basket to store your goodies. I like to bring large throw pillows to have something cushy to rest on after a long day outside.
- Elevate it: bring a surface or small table – such as a large cutting board, tray or wooden pallet – to rest your food, plates and drinks on. This is perfect for larger picnics or when celebrating a holiday like Mother’s Day!
- Pack your food: these Strawberry Shortcakes are super easy to transport in plastic containers or wrapped in foil. Upcycled Bonne Maman jars make the perfect picnic containers to transport whipped labneh, honey, sliced strawberries and even flowers! You can also bring your OJ or preferred drink and label each for your guests.
- Don’t forget napkins, plates, utensils and trash bags. Opt for reusable bamboo utensils if gathering at a location other than your home, as they are the most eco-friendly option.
How to make Strawberry Shortcakes
Strawberry shortcakes are made with simple ingredients; flour, butter, sugar, baking soda and baking powder, salt and buttermilk. The result is a crumbly and buttery biscuit that can be filled with a variety of options such as Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves, whipped labneh or cream, preserves or fresh fruits.
- Sift and combine the dry ingredients; all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and sugar.
- Pro tip: when making shortcakes, I like to use grated frozen butter. Add it to the dry ingredients and mix with your hands until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. To make buttermilk, simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of whole milk, stir and rest for 5 minutes before using.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a rectangle about ½ inch high, and cut the biscuits using a 2.5-inch biscuit cutter.
- Freeze and grate your butter for extra buttery biscuits.
- Adding lemon zest enhances all the flavors.
- Use the well technique for adding wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. And make sure your buttermilk is COLD.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough but don’t twist the cutter; it prevents the biscuits from rising.
- Don’t overmix the batter! Over working the batter will result in dry and flat biscuits.
How to make Labneh Whipped Cream
Labneh is a creamy Middle Eastern strained yogurt, with a similar consistency to sour cream. In some places it’s known as Kefir cheese, and it’s very versatile!
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add heavy cream, labneh, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Substitutions: you can replace labneh with Greek yogurt or more heavy whipping cream.
Store labneh whipped cream in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to Serve Shortcakes
To serve, simply slice the shortcake biscuits in half, add a dollop of labneh whipped cream, followed by Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves, fresh sliced strawberries and a drizzle of honey!
Looking for Strawberry Desserts? Check out these reader favorites:
- Strawberry Angel Food Cake with Mascarpone Cream
- Strawberry Tres Leches
- Strawberry Rose Water Frozen Yogurt
If you loved this recipe, leave a comment and rate! Don’t forget to share your strawberry shortcakes with me on Instagram using the hashtag #yogaofcooking. It always makes my day!
Happy Baking! xPrint
This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Yoga of Cooking, mindful!