For the Cake:
- 5 eggs (divided)
- 150 gr sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 gr flour (1 cup) (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Milk Mixture
- 1 can evaporated milk (12oz)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
For the Meringue Topping
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 9×13 inch sheet pan or pyrex.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until smooth and double in volume. Transfer the mixture to a separate bowl.
- Fold in the flour (a little bit at a time), salt and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture. Do not over mix.
- Clean and dry the egg yolk bowl. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on high, until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy. About 4-5 minutes.
- Fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk and flour mixture.
- Pour the batter onto prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before proceeding with the milk mixture.
For the Milk Mixture:
- In a large bowl or jar, combine the evaporated, condensed and whole milks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a skewer, poke holes into the top of the cake. For the milk mixture, one cup at a time, until it begins to soak. Refrigerate covered for at least 2 hours (but preferably overnight) before serving to allow the mixture to absorb completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites and sugar until combined.
- Place the bowl over a small saucepan on simmering water. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar dissolves, whisking constantly.
- Return the bowl to the stand mixer, and beat at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. About 5-8 minutes.
- Scrape the meringue into a large piping bag. Alternating between 3 different tips (see notes), pipe meringue onto cake.
- Before serving, use a kitchen torch to carefully brown the meringue tips all over the cake.
- Slice and serve!
For the meringue tips, I used 3 different star shaped tips from Wilton – 8B, 6B and 4B.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Hispanic, latin, Spanish