These homemade buttery and flaky buttermilk biscuits are incredibly delicious. Pile on the honey berries and top with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream. YUM!
This is one of those recipes that I’ve always wanted to master. And trust me on this – these biscuits are perfection! SOOO flaky and buttery. They come together in less than 20 minutes and it’s the only recipe you’ll ever need.
These biscuits are sandwiched between a freshly whipped cream and honey berries. A step up from the usual biscuits with butter and a must make for the weekend!
Tips for the most delicious Buttermilk Biscuits:
- Freeze and grate your butter for extra flaky and buttery biscuits.
- Adding lemon zest enhances all the flavors.
- Use the well technique for adding wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. And make sure your buttermilk is COLD.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough but don’t twist the cutter; it prevents the biscuits from rising.
- Don’t overmix the batter! Over working the batter will result in dry and flat biscuits.
As always, if you loved this recipe, leave a comment and rate. Don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram using the hashtag #yogaofcooking. It always makes my day.
Happy Baking! xPrint
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime (optional)
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold & grated (or cubed)
- 1 cup buttermilk + more for brushing
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Honey Berries*
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 cup berries (I did a mix of blueberries & blackberries)
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest (if using). Whisk until combined.
- Add the grated butter into the flour and toss together. If the butter is cubed instead of grated, use a fork to combine. The dough will be crumbly and look like coarse sand. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the butter and flour mixture, pour the buttermilk in. Bring the dough together using a spatula, don’t overwork.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured working surface. Flour your hands and mold the dough into a rectangle, until it’s about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 2.5″ circles using a biscuit cutter. Re-work any scraps until you have 12 biscuits.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet, and brush the tops with buttermilk.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the Whipped Cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk all ingredients until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use
For the Honey Berries:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the honey, vanilla, salt and thyme. Allow to come to a soft boil. Remove from heat and pour over berries. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice biscuits in half, add a dollop of whipped cream and spoon the honey berries on top. ENJOY!
*Honey Berries recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest
- Prep Time: 10min
- Cook Time: 12min
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits
Craving more desserts? Check out my faves:5