This cozy and healthy double chocolate skillet banana bread is what dessert dreams are made of. This dairy free and gluten free recipe will be your new favorite treat!
This post is sponsored by Williams Sonoma. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Yoga of Cooking, mindful!
Does the world need yet another banana bread recipe? Hmm, if it’s this good then my answer is YES. In true Yoga of Cooking fashion, I wanted to make the chocolate version of a traditional banana bread recipe. And to make things easier, why not make it in a skillet?
This healthy chocolate skillet banana bread is so rich and decadent, you won’t believe it’s actually made with simple and clean ingredients! This recipe is perfect for fall nights when you’re in need of a warm and cozy treat that you can share with your loved ones. Plus, it’s SO GOOD!
For this recipe, I used Williams Sonoma exclusive Lodge Blacklock Triple Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet. I got the 10 1/4″ size, which is the perfect size for quick desserts and savory meals, and what I love about it most is that it’s sooo much lighter than other cast irons. I see a lot more skillet recipes coming your way this fall!!
How to make a healthy chocolate skillet banana bread?
To make this recipe, focus on high quality ingredients, dairy and gluten substitutes and organic options, when possible. It’s so easy to make and comes together faster than picking a Netflix movie.
Here’s what you need to make this healthy recipe:
- Gluten free flour: make sure you use a 1-1 baking flour. I like using this one.
- Premium Quality Cocoa Powder: not all cocoa powders are created equal. Make sure you get a great one.
- Use overripe bananas: read below to ripe bananas quick!
- And don’t forget your skillet!
What’s the best way to ripen bananas at home?
If you’re craving banana bread but your bananas are nowhere near ripe, here are 3 tricks that might help.
- Place in a paper bag: place your bananas in a a brown bag and close it loosely. There’s some science behind it that I don’t quite get, but what I know for sure is that it makes them ripe faster. You can also place a ripe fruit in the bag for even faster ripening.
- The Oven Method: place unpeeled (not green) bananas on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 min at 350F. But make sure to check often, they are ready when they turn black and shiny.
- The Microwave Method: place unpeeled (not green) bananas in the microwave and heat in 30 second intervals until they turn soft.
Best Toppings for Banana Bread
Make this double chocolate skillet banana bread extra special by whipping up some greek style nut yogurt (I used almond) and drizzling some warm honey on top. Another great option is vegan vanilla ice cream and hazelnuts! But honestly, this recipe is great on it’s own too!
I’m so happy you’re here and are making one of my recipes! I would love to see how it turns out, so share it on Instagram using #yogaofcooking or send me a DM so I can see it and show others. It always makes my day!
Happy Baking! xoPrint
Double Chocolate Skillet Banana Bread
This healthy chocolate skillet banana bread is what dessert dreams are made of. This dairy free and gluten free recipe will be your new favorite treat!
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 bananas, sliced in half lengthwise, for topping, optional
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil, I used canola
- 1 cup semisweet dairy free and gluten free chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipped greek style nut yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease 10 inch skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 3 mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract and oil. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients using a spatula or wooden spoon. Fold in the chocolate chips and transfer to skillet.
- Place the sliced bananas over the top, if using.
- Bake for 28 minutes, until toothpick comes out mostly clean. Some melted chocolate is ok.
- Serve warm!
- This recipe is also delicious with some whipped almond yogurt (greek style) and honey. Totally optional! Also, vegan vanilla ice cream works, too!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: healthy chocolate banana bread
* This post is brought to you by Williams Sonoma. All content, including recipe, photos, and words are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Yoga of Cooking, mindful.
Looking for healthy recipes? Check out my favorites below:
- Healthy Carrot Cake (dairy free and gluten free)
- Creamy chocolate chia pudding (vegan & gluten-free)
- Peach-raspberry Crisp
- Almond Chia Bread
Great info ,good thanks.