A healthy-ish Almond Butter Skillet Banana Bread that’s delicious and easy to make with simple pantry ingredients and lots of chocolate chips.
These days at home I’m craving more comfort food than ever before. Pretty sure we can all relate! I find that easy and nourishing recipes are the way to go and this Almond Butter Skillet Banana Bread is at the top of my list.
Got some bananas sitting on your counter? Good! You’re gonna love making this treat. It’s perfect for breakfast or for when you need a little afternoon pick-me-up.
This Almond Butter Skillet Banana Bread is:
- Healthy-ish! (read below for substitutions).
- Easy, soft and absolutely delicious.
- Got lots of chocolate for an extra boost.
- Can be made with your preferred nut butter.
- Made in a cast iron skillet.
- Ready in 30 min!
Tips to make Banana Bread in a Skillet
Making Banana Bread in a skillet is pretty simple, in fact, it cooks much faster than a loaf!
Here a my tips:
- Use an oven-safe skillet such as this 10-inch cast iron or this Demeyere skillet (one of my favorites!).
- To prevent the banana bread from sticking, grease the bottom and sides of the skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- You could line the skillet with parchment paper, instead.
- Don’t let the batter sit for long before baking. This might make the bread dense in texture.
- Use an oven thermometer to measure the exact internal temperature. This ensures you don’t overcook resulting in a dry bread.
Ingredients in this Almond Butter Skillet Banana Bread
This banana bread is made with super simple ingredients, making it the perfect healthy indulgence.
- Unbleached Flour or 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour: I like to use unbleached flour in most of my recipes, it’s a bit better than bleached. But, if you’re looking for a better-for-you option, I love using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour, or your preferred 1:1 GF flour.
- Almond Butter: I love almond butter in this recipe! Feel free to use any nut butter, like peanut or even a seed butter sunflower. Note that the taste and texture is going to change a bit.
- A mix of Light Brown Sugar and Granulated: I find this to be the perfect balance of molasses and sweetness. You can substitute for coconut or date sugar for a healthier option.
- Ripe Bananas: I actually prefer them spotty and soft, and not overly ripe and black (they can be a little moldy!).
- Chocolate Chips: because it takes it up a notch. I absolutely love Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips, they are gluten free and sweetened with stevia.
Making Almond Butter Skillet Banana Bread
Making this recipe is simple and quick, ready in about 30 minutes or so. The first step is mashing those ripe bananas! Combine the butter, brown sugar and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until soft. You can also use a hand mixer. Next, add the mashed bananas, almond butter (the natural creamy kind), eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
The rest is easy. Add the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda and salt. And fold in the chocolate chips. Note that I went heavy on the chips, you can do as little or as much, or none at all. Transfer to greased skillet. Now wait and bake for 25-30 minutes. My sweet spot was 28 minutes.
How to Store and Freeze Banana Bread
To store fresh banana bread, place in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days. Do not refrigerate, it’ll get super dry.
To freeze, wrap sliced banana bread in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag.
To thaw, remove from ziplock bag and place on counter. It should thaw in less than an hour. Warm up in the oven for 2-3 minutes at 350ºF.
For more banana bread recipes, check out my:
- Nutella Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Healthy Skillet Chocolate Banana Bread (gluten and dairy free)
- Tahini Espresso Banana Bread
That’s it guys!! The best ever Almond Butter Skillet Banana recipe is here waiting for you. If you make it please rate and leave a comment! Share your bakes with me using #yogaofcooking so I can share with our community!Print