These Heart shaped linzer cookies filled with Nutella are the perfect Valentines Day treat. Dust with powdered sugar and share with someone you love!
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought I’d make a simple and cute recipe for the blog! Even though not everyone celebrates this “holiday”, I thought it would be a cute idea to make with kids and gift to loved ones during these difficult times. Enter Nutella Linzer Heart Cookies!
I wanted to make these a little more fun than traditional round Linzer cookies with fruit spread, so I went for a heart on heart filled with Nutella and dusted with a cocoa and powdered sugar design. I hope you enjoy making them!
What are Linzer Cookies
Linzer cookies are typically made during Christmas, filled with your choice of jam, usually red. They are made with butter, flour and almond flour, similar to shortbread cookies, but sandwiched together and dusted with powdered sugar.
Tips for Making Nutella Linzer Heart Cookies
These cookies are made with simple pantry ingredients. Here are a few tips to make things easier!
- Use room temperature unsalted butter and eggs.
- Make sure to use almond flour not almond meal. Almond flour is finer and made with peeled almonds.
- Rolling out the dough before refrigerating will help prevent cracking.
- Use a large and a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, or any nestling set shape. I used this set.
- Gather scraps and freeze before re-rolling. Baking this dough warm will make cookies spread too much and lose their shape.
- Assemble cookies once cooled!
- Heat the chocolate hazelnut spread in the microwave, in a heatproof bowl, so it spreads easily.
- Dust cutout cookies with powdered sugar before sandwiching them together!
- For the mini cookies, you can sandwich them together or simply dust with powdered sugar.
How to store Linzer Cookies
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or frozen (before adding the spread) for up to 3 months.
Looking for Small Batch Desserts? Check out these reader favorites:
- Small Batch Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse for Two
- Cookies & Cream Milkshake
- Mini Chocolate Blood Orange Pies
If you loved this recipe, leave a comment and rate! Don’t forget to share your little pie cups with me on Instagram using the hashtag #yogaofcooking. It always makes my day!
Happy Baking! xPrint